Table Of Contents hide
Instagram is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms and has provided brands with ample opportunities to market their products. Over the last couple of years, the social media giant has dwelled heavily on influencer marketing, sponsored, and shopping ads, making it a popular marketplace amongst consumers and D2C brands alike.
Earlier, we detailed everything there is to know about Google Shopping ads. In this guide, we will cover Instagram Shopping and how your business can use it to drive conversions.
The comprehensive guide covers-
1) What is Instagram Shopping
2) Benefits of Instagram Shopping
3) How to set up Instagram Shopping
4) Best practices for Instagram Shopping
Before we move on to the process of managing Instagram Shopping campaigns, here is a quick description of what exactly is Instagram shopping.
Instagram Shopping provides brands with a platform to share a digital product catalog with their target audience.
This can help brand in two broad ways:
- Potential customers can quickly learn about the product
- Seamless transaction process (Customers can purchase directly via Instagram Checkout or click through the website link) boosts sales
Earlier, brands could only drive sales via Instagram from their bio link or clickable Instagram stories.
Now with Instagram Shopping brands can now increase sales with features like:
- Instagram Shop
- Product Details Page
- Shopping Tag
- Shop Discovery tab
What are Shopping Tags?
As the name suggests, the shopping tags feature allows you to tag products on:
– Instagram stories
– Instagram posts
– Sponsored Ads
While your potential audience is scrolling through their feed, they can click on the shopping tag to
-learn more about the product and/or
-buy it directly from Instagram (using Checkout feature) or complete the transaction on your website.
Here is an example of a Shopping tag-
From the Shopping tag posts, users can also browse your Instagram Shop.
What is an Instagram Shop?
Put simply, your Instagram Shop is similar to a website landing page where customers can browse products, explore collections, and buy.
Here’s how Chumbak’s Instagram shop looks like:
What are Collections?
You all are familiar with eCommerce brand websites having multiple categories like Handmade Pottery, Summer Collection, etc on their channel. This helps shoppers search for relevant products easily, and also increases the chances of cross-selling.
Collections solve the same purpose on Instagram. With the Collections feature, you can group your products into different categories like new arrivals, gifts, seasonal trends, etc.
To help you understand this clearly, here is an example of GoPro’s Instagram Collection:
What is the Product Details Page?
Your product details page covers all important product information like item price, image, and description. It also pulls in any product-tagged images on Instagram.
One good example of this can be of beauty brand Glossiers.
Their shoppable posts have tags of multiple products they sell, and each has their own product details page.
What is Checkout with Instagram?
Earlier, the Checkout with Instagram feature allows users to finish their purchase from top brands like Adidas, Kylie Cosmetics, Warby Parker, etc without leaving the app. The feature is now available to brands of all stature. The checkout tag appears on feed posts, stories, and Explore content.
What is Shop Discovery tab?
The shop Discovery tab helps brands reach out to non-followers. With this feature, users can scroll through products sold by multiple brands on a single screen.
Here is an example of a Shop Discovery tab:
Benefits of Instagram Shopping
eCommerce brands have increased their digital sales significantly over the past few years and they are using social media for promotion. Now with Instagram Shopping in picture, they can get visible results from their promotional efforts.
Here’s how it helps them boost sales:
- Shortens buyer journey: Allows users to buy products with minimal clicks and easy checkout.
- Instagram Shopping leverages influencer marketing: Earlier with Instagram marketing, users could only know about your brand and boost your engagement. However, now brands can integrate Instagram shop into influencer marketing to drive sales directly
- Authentic Advertising: Online shoppers trust the authenticity and rely on user-generated content before making purchase decisions. Brands can now integrate all the UGC with shopping tags to boost sales.
- Visual Marketing and Easy Product Discoverability: It is a known fact that visual posts attract more attention and engagement. With Instagram Shop you can create visuals for shoppable posts to boost sales.
Tips and Tricks for effective Instagram Shop
Keep in mind the below checklist to make the most out of your Instagram Shop.
1. Post your product regularly. Decide on what day(s) of the week you will post your products so that community members also build a habit of looking at your products regularly.
2. Behind the scenes posts. This helps your community understand the entire process behind creating a product, creates a sense of belonging and boosts engagement.
3. Use a backdrop. Like I mentioned earlier, Instagram attracts users because of visual marketing. To make your product stand out, use a backdrop (white or patterned wall, or a piece of fabric) that goes well with your product image.
4. Use Flatlay. Flatlay is an aerial shot of multiple products laid out together on a flat surface.
5. Show product variations. Display all your product options like different sizes, colors, etc so that customers have a wide range of options to choose from.
6. Create Story Highlights. This helps in highlighting certain products on your profile.
7. Encourage interaction. Use the question sticker in your stories to open it up to user questions. This helps potential customers learn more about your products easily and builds confidence to make an online purchase.
8. Promote User Generated Content (UGC). When customers tag your products in their Instagram posts or video, ask their permission to reshare on your Instagram business account.
9. Use Instagram Live Shopping Stream. You can sell your products directly from your Live Broadcast to boost sales.
10. Use Promotional Codes. Promotional campaigns can help your brand to increase sales. Mention your promotional code in the Instagram posts so that customers can easily use it.
With Instagram users increasing globally, shopping on Instagram is swiftly getting mainstream and the promising exponential growth has essentially made it a prominent part of omnichannel selling.
Like Instagram Shopping, Google Shopping Ads has its advantages and many eCommerce brands run google shopping ads to boost sales.
Here’s a quick comparison between the two.